airwalkrr's Out of the Abyss
To create a character, follow the guidelines in the Player’s Handbook. All options and variant rules in the Player’s Handbook are available to players for character creation. In addition, note the following house rules:
- Due to their nature in Greyhawk, drow must be evil in alignment and are limited in background options. Male drow gain +1 to Intelligence instead of Charisma. Female drow are unchanged.
- Dragonborn have a different origin in Greyhawk. They are extremely rare in the Flanaess and come from a different part of Oerik.
- Tieflings have a different origin in Greyhawk. Some are descended from or touched by demons or daemons (yugoloths). They are almost universally reviled in Greyhawk.
- Bard magic is considered a type of nature magic in Greyhawk.
- A cleric must choose a patron deity from Appendix B: Deities of Greyhawk (PH 295) or the Nonhuman Deities table (PH 296). It is very rare for a cleric to follow a nonhuman deity if the character’s race does not fit that deity’s portfolio.
- Warlock patrons must be approved by the DM, as the Powers of Greyhawk are unique in the requirements of those to whom they grant abilities.
- Ability scores must be rolled in open view of the DM and the player must clearly state intent to roll ability scores before beginning. The DM will determine whether or not a re-roll is allowed.
- Additional background options are available.
- Customized backgrounds (PH 125) that alter proficiencies or mix and match features or starting equipment require DM approval.
- If choosing to use the Starting Wealth by Class table (PH 143), the roll for starting wealth must be made as for rolling ability scores (see above).
- You may create and play as many characters as you are able to manage, and you may create a new character at any time (although characters created after the beginning of the campaign may not be introduced until the story allows). All new characters begin at 1st-level with standard starting equipment. Having a second character is the easiest way to continue playing in the event your character dies or is otherwise removed from the game during the campaign.